Sunday 10 February 2013

Imbolc, Brigid and the Snake


We have been going through a series of calendrical turning points over the past week.

Today is the Lunar New Year. Time to say goodbye to the Year of the Dragon and welcome to the Year of the Snake. By birth, I am a dragon; but I'm not too sad to see the end of the past year as it has been a real tough one. This new year (4711 in the Chinese calendar) is that of the water snake. The snake is said to signify the qualities of intelligence, charm and introspection, alongside those of cunning, suspicion and self-control. Famous snakes include Bob Dylan, Virginia Woolf and Mao Zedong.

Actually I'm terrified of snakes. If I catch a glimpse of one on TV I begin to shudder and shake uncontrollably. Its their sinuous movement that gets to me. And if I was unfortunate enough to see one in real life, it would be far worse. I'm sure my reaction dates from childhood, when I was terrorised by two older lads. One of them grabbed my arms and the other dropped a snake down the back of my shirt. The snake writhed against my skin. I thrashed and shrieked. The lads laughed and trotted away. I ran home screaming. I was probably around 4 years old.

I later learnt that it was a slow-worm - a snakelike lizard. But every time that I see a snake (or any creature with their sinuous movement) I physically return to that childhood terror. I must admit I'm happy to be living on an island where, thanks to evolution or St Patrick, there are no snakes.

This past week has also seen the midpoint between the Winter and Spring solstices. This midpoint is a quarter day, there are four of these a year. In the ancient Celtic calendar this particular quarter day is called Imbolc. It signifies the end of Winter and beginning of Spring. Traditionally coinciding with the birth of the first lambs and the start of ploughing, Imbolc is essentially a festival of fertility.

Imbolc took place on 4th February. In early Mediaeval times this long-standing pagan festival began to be appropriated by the Christian church who initiated St Brigid's day (Ist Feb) and Candlemas (2nd Feb). These two festivals celebrate Christian events as well as the end of Winter and the beginning of Spring (the lighting of candles symbolising the strengthening sun).

St Brigid was an Irish nun who founded a monastery and was said to have performed miracles of healing. However, Brigid was also an ancient Irish goddess who mythologically was the patroness of smithing, poetry, crafts, medicine and the Spring. In early Mediaeval times the church fused St Brigid with the mythological Brigid, the saint taking on the functions and powers of the ancient goddess. St Brigid became typically portrayed with a cross woven from reeds and a lamp with a sacred flame.

I welcome Spring (my snowdrops are in flower and the daffodils are shooting up) and look forward to the Year of the Snake being one of increased fruitfulness for me (despite its unfortunate associations).

No comments:

Post a Comment